Sunday, January 2, 2011

Lomography

Ok, so nothing new to report vegan. I've failed the past few days, once on purpose, the other on accident. I'm so frustrated and now it's getting to the point that if there isn't something to eat that's vegan I just don't eat. Which makes me hungry and cranky. I guess I'm not a very good advocate for how easy veganism is.

But I did want to write about other things too, so I wanted to write about my recent lomography adventure.

I was at Urban Outfitters yesterday and I was looking around the store waiting for my cousin to checkout when I noticed a table with old-fashioned looking camera kits on it. When I looked closer at them, I realized that they were made of plastic and they used film. I haven't seen film cameras sold in forever, besides the plastic one-time-usage ones you see at weddings still.

The kits were really cheap as far as cameras go. For $188 you could get a Holga camera with lenses, a flash, and other accessories. And looking at the lomography books I was facinated with the unique pictures. They look nothing like the digital photos that we have today. They're messed up, but in such a beautiful way that I knew I had to get involved in this art form.

I went to lomography.com and found a bundle for a camera, lenses, a flash, and lots of other stuff. I'm going to get it and I'm so excited! I'm a little nervous, because I'm not sure how many places still develope film around here, but I guess we'll find out.
I'm going to get the Diana F+ Deluxe Kit with a Diana Instant Back (so I can take instant photos) and some film to start experimenting with. That's the best part about this. The photos aren't digital so they're not going to turn out perfect. The imperfections and wacky outcomes are what make them beautiful. You never know how it's going to turn out.
Before I buy something I usually look it up on YouTube to see it unpacked and reviewed, but they didn't have that for the whole Diana Deluxe Kit, so when I get my stuff I'll do an out-of-the-box video for you guys.
Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment